Because I always forget how, here is how to create a user-defined service in Windows:
- Get a copy of the Windows 2003 Resource Toolkit
- Install the service:
path\INSTSRV.EXE My Service path\SRVANY.EXE
- Open the service you just created in regedit here:
- Right click the service itself and create a key named ‘Parameters’. This creates a new sub-folder.
- Select the ‘Parameters’ key and then right-click on the space to the right and choose the ‘New Key’ option. Name it ‘Application’.
- Its type will default to ‘REG_SZ’. Leave that alone.
- For its value enter in the executable path.
- You are done.
(via Microsoft Support)