One man’s lament.
On vacation, I re-read this, and wanted to share some interesting bits:
- p5. Mathematics is the art of explanation.
- p6. Math is not about following directions, it is about making new ones.
- p7. It isn’t doing anyone any good having vague memories of formulas and clear memories of hating them.
- p11. Teaching is not about information. It’s about having an honest intellectual relationship with your students. Teaching means openness and honesty, an ability to share excitement, and a love of learning.
- p21. Mathematics is about removing obstacles to our intuition, and keeping things simple.